What is a Community Health Worker?
“A community health worker is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member of and/or has an unusually close understanding of the community served. This trusting relationship enables the worker to serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
A community health worker also builds individual and community capacity by increasing health knowledge and self-sufficiency through a range of activities such as outreach, community education, informal counseling, social support and advocacy."
American Public Health Association’s definition of CHWs
Who should attend?
- Individuals who wish to pursue a career as a Certified Community Health Worker and enter the healthcare and social service arena.
- Providers of healthcare who wish to certify staff as Community Health Workers increasing access to health services and decreasing hospital readmissions.
This 45-hour course prepares the student for the certification exam. Upon successful completion of the exam the community health worker will be certified in the State of Indiana.
- $1,200 course fee includes the instruction materials (online student manual and e-text book), registration, examination and 1-year Indiana Community Health Workers Association membership
- Due to the COVID crisis, we are currently offering a 20% discount, making your total investment $1,200 (limited time only; subject to change at any time).
To be certified, students must successfully complete the following:
- 5 self-study sessions
- 5 online 2-hour reviews
- Development of Individual Community Project
- Successfully complete final exam with 85% passing score
- Reliable Computer - Since this training is online, computers, laptops, tablets, or phones with these features can be utilized. However, printing capabilities from the equipment is required
- Internet, WIFI or hot spot to access online manual
- Reader Software –E-book link and app will be provided
- Web-camera, speakers and microphone
- Microsoft Word or word processing program software to help create documents required in some of the student activities or assignments
- Printer and printer paper